Friday, October 18, 2019

Blood of Life



Hey there, crime kids. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 22 of Frankenstein In Love, brought-back-from-the-dead cheerleader Shayla tells science genius nerd Frankie she's tired of hiding out in his tree house, and that she wants to go out on a date. Meanwhile, Frankie's next door neighbor Vita, still in love with him since they were kids, tries her hand at conjuring a 'love spell' ...


INT. FRANKIE’S BASEMENT LAB - DAY
The electronic equipment near
the workbench is gone.

In it’s place is a gerbil in a cage.
A child’s chemistry set. Microscope.
An X-box and a stack of video games.

FRANKIE
My god, how dull.
(sighs)
Should work.

He SNAPS a padlock shut on a big cabinet.
Shuts off the lights. Goes to the stairs.

INT. FRANKIE’S KITCHEN - DAY
Frankie opens up the fridge.
Starts searching for a snack.
Then hears a car door SLAM outside.

He hurries out the back door.
Julie walks into the kitchen.
Puts down her bag. Sighs.

INT. TREE HOUSE - DAY
Shayla lays on the futon watching TV.
Eyes glued. Entranced.

SHAYLA
Tell him you’re pregnant.

The door opens. Frankie walks in. Closes it.

SHAYLA
You’re home early.

FRANKIE
Had an emergency I had to take care of.
What are you watching?

SHAYLA
Days Of Our World.
(looks at him)
I wanna go on a date.

FRANKIE
A date?

SHAYLA
(points at the TV)
Like them.
(beat)
Go outside. Feel cooped up.

She smiles. Sucks on the charger.
JUMPS as she gets shocked.

FRANKIE
Okay. We’ll go on a date.
Where do you wanna --

Frankie’s cell phone RINGS.
He answers it.

FRANKIE
Hello?

INTERCUT WITH:

INT. HIGH SCHOOL CORRIDOR - DAY
Josh weaves through the throng of kids
on their way to class talking
on his smart-phone.

JOSH
Where are you? You weren’t in chem lab.

FRANKIE
I had a -- emergency.

JOSH
Don’t tell me. I don’t want to know.
(beat)
I can’t take it anymore, Frankie.
I’m gonna turn myself in.

FRANKIE
Please. Don’t do that.

JOSH
I can’t eat, I can’t sleep --
I can’t take it anymore, Frankie.

FRANKIE
Something’s come up.
I need to see you. It’s urgent.

JOSH
I don’t see the point in --

FRANKIE
PLEASE, Josh.
I can’t talk about it on the phone.
Meet me at Ohio Burger Kitchen
in half an hour, okay?
I need to talk to you.
It’s IMPORTANT.

JOSH
I dunno.

FRANKIE
Josh, we’ve been friends since we were SIX.
I gave you your first copy of PLAYBOY.

JOSH
Okay, okay. I’ll meet you there.

They both hang up.
PUSH IN ON Josh’s face. Exasperated.

INT. VITA’S BEDROOM - DAY
Curtains are closed. Lights are out.
The room is lit by the trio
of candles on her altar.

She places the lock of
Frankie’s hair on the pentagram.

Vita looks at a piece of paper. Memorizing.
Mumbling to herself. She puts it away.
Closes her eyes. Concentrating.

Opens them. Reaches over. Grabs a needle.
Holds it next to her finger.

VITA
Goddess of Love -- may the power
of the symbolic love of Adam and Eve
make me strong, attractive, and desirable
so that I may enjoy your acts of love and kindness,
and make your joyful powers of love everlasting.

She PUNCTURES her fingertip.

VITA
OW.
(beat)
May the blood of life
seal our bond in eternity.

Puts it in her mouth.
Sucks on it. Looks at her watch.

VITA
Time for lunch. Better get back to school,
hunt down Frankie and see if it worked --

No comments:

Post a Comment