Friday, November 13, 2015

Illegal Guardian


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Friday the 13th. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 5 of BABY HEISTER, Kelsey tries to get her grandfather to teach her how to rob banks, but he refuses, despite her pleadings to work in 'the family business' ...


INT. DOC'S FARMHOUSE - LIVING ROOM - NIGHT
Doc sits in ‘his chair.’
Kelsey sits on the couch,
next to Jo, asleep.

They’re watching a movie
on TV, eating popcorn.

ON THE SCREEN
We see a scene from
Stanley Kubrick’s THE KILLING.

A gang of MASKED THUGS
are robbing a race track.

Then, a station break.

Some LOCAL CAR SALESMAN comes on,
hawking prices 'nobody can beat.'

KELSEY
Looks at Doc.

KELSEY
So how come you don’t want me
to be in the family business?

DOC
It’s a hard life, Kelsey.
It’s no place for a young woman.

KELSEY
But what if it’s what I wanna DO?
(off his look)
Nothing you can say is
gonna make me change my mind.

DOC
Oh, is that right?
What about what happened
to your parents?

KELSEY
They were careless.
I’ll be smart.
It’s in my blood, Doc. My DNA.
If I had to be cooped up in
an office doing some meaningless shit,
I’d fucking shoot myself.

DOC
You think it’s noble, cool --
like in those books you read.
But it’s not. It’s a living hell.
I still have to watch my back.
Even though I'm retired,
there's always a chance
someone will turn up
from the past and cause trouble.
Someone who thinks
they got a raw deal --
or wants to steal my stake.
And then there's the law.
Any day now some cop
could come snooping around --
and I’ve gotta live with
that the rest of my life,
always looking over my shoulder.

KELSEY
But if you did it and my
PARENTS did it, why can’t --

DOC
Because I’m your legal guardian now,
and while you’re living in MY HOUSE,
you’re gonna go back to
school and get your degree.
Tomorrow morning Jo is
taking you to school
and get you registered.
I want you to have the chance
that none of us had. GOT it?

KELSEY
But I don’t wanna DO that.
It’s not FAIR.

DOC
FAIR? LIFE isn’t fair.
Griff and Chelle are DEAD.
Is THAT fair?
(looks at the TV)
Now hush up.
Movie’s coming back on.

Kelsey scowls.
Face a dark cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment