Thursday, January 8, 2015

Neither Rain Nor Sleet


Happy Thursday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 15 of FILLMORE, now that he has Peach working the street, Fillmore learns it's a lot of work being a pimp, and has to train the new girl, Cricket ...


EXT. BUS STATION - NIGHT
Slim sits behind the wheel of a big, old used car.
Cricket stands at the curb carrying a BABY (1)
and holding Ben’s hand. They get in, and Slim drives away.

INT. MOTEL ROOM - NIGHT
Slim sits on the couch talking to Cricket, who listens attentively.
Peach stands nearby watching them.

SLIM
Now the first rule is always do what Peach tells you, got it?
(looks at Peach)
What are you doing in here?
Get back out on the street and get to work.
I’ll take care of this.

PEACH
Okay.

She nods. Grabs her bag. Leaves.

SLIM
(to Cricket)
Now don’t you worry about nothing.
I’ll get a baby-sitter for the kids,
so you don’t have to worry about that.

CRICKET
Thanks.

SLIM
And don’t forget all the money belongs to me.
I’ll take care of all your needs.

CRICKET
Don’t worry. I won’t let you down. I promise.

SLIM
I know that. You’re gonna work out just fine.
Now let’s find something for you to wear --

EXT. FILLMORE STREET - NIGHT
Peach and Cricket stand on a street corner.

Peach is wearing an outrageous outfit.
Cricket looks awkward in a tiny dress and platforms.
Looks at all the street action, wide-eyed.

CRICKET
I’m not sure I can --

PEACH
Don’t worry. Just relax.
You don’t have to do nothing you don’t want to, okay?

CRICKET
Yeah, but Slim’s gonna expect me to pay my way at some point --

PEACH
All in good time, girl. All in good time.

A BIG, FAT DISGUSTING CREEP (20’s) comes up to Cricket.
She recoils in horror.

BIG, FAT DISGUSTING CREEP
Hey there, sweet thing. How much for around the world?

PEACH
(takes his arm, pulls him away)
Come with me, baby --

PUSH IN ON Cricket. Watching them walk to his car.

IN MONTAGE, we see a series of street scenes:

PEACH
Leans into a car window. Smiles at a john in a cowboy hat.

PEACH (CONT'D)
Hey there, Tex. Wanna do some ropin’ and ridin’?

COWBOY HAT JOHN
(opens the door)
Git along little doggie.

CRICKET
Holds an umbrella in the rain.
She wears a clear raincoat revealing a lot of flesh beneath it.
Chats with a john, who’s wearing a postal uniform.

CRICKET
Neither rain nor sleet will keep you from my appointed mounds --

MAILMAN JOHN
Can I get a 'special delivery?'

SLIM
Stands in the lobby of a cheap motel.
Chats up a YOUNG GIRL (18) holding a suitcase.

SLIM
You’re from Omaha? I’ve got kin in Omaha.
This is your lucky day. I can show you around,
protect you from the vultures.

PEACH
Wears a short winter coat with fishnet stockings.
It’s snowing. She leans into a car window.

PEACH
I’ll warm you up if you warm ME up --

JOHN
How much for a snow job?

CRICKET
Wears a school girl outfit.
Chats up an ELDERLY GENTLEMEN (70’s) on the corner.

CRICKET
I’ve been a bad girl.

He stares at her. Doesn’t get it.

CRICKET (CONT'D)
(takes his hand)
Come with me, Daddy. We need to discuss my punishment.

His eyes light up.

SLIM
Stands at a trolley car stop.
Chats up a YOUNG GIRL (18) holding a violin case.

SLIM
I see you’re a musician. I’m a singer -- gonna be doing
a show tonight down the street. You should come.

YOUNG GIRL
You’re a singer? Really?

PEACH
Wears a bikini top and short-shorts on a hot day.
Her hair is now really long.
She leans into a dairy truck window.

PEACH
Hey there, big fella. Looking for some cream?

DAIRY TRUCK DRIVER
If you’ve got the eggs.

CRICKET
Leans in the window of a TRAVELLING SALESMAN (30’s).
Sees he has clothing samples in the back seat.

CRICKET
You buying or selling, honey?

TRAVELLING SALESMAN
Just doing a little window-shopping.

CRICKET
We have a special introductory offer today --

TRAVELLING SALESMAN
(looks at her breasts)
Would that be a -- two-for-one special?

She nods. He opens the door.

CRICKET
While supplies last --

SLIM
Chats up a SEXY FARM GIRL (18) with a black eye
holding a battered suitcase outside a cheap motel.

SLIM
If you’re with me, one would ever hurt you again.
That’s my solemn vow. You can trust me.

Sexy Farm Girl nods. Smiles hopefully. Then BURSTS into tears.
Hugs Slim for dear life. He comforts her.

Then eyes another girl walking by --

No comments:

Post a Comment