Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Devil In A Blue Dress


Happy Tuesday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 10 of FILLMORE, Clarence, now the newly-christened Fillmore Slim makes time with another singer, Etta James when they both perform at the same club ... where Fillmore gets approached by an agent to record and tour for his record label in Los Angeles ...


EXT. CITY PARK - DAY
Slim sits under a tree
with two of the girls who were
watching him march
with the ROTC drill squad.

SUGAR PIE DESANTO (16) is small and thin.
JAMES ETTA (16) is full-bodied.

Both, gorgeous.
They sit and watch the people go by.

SLIM
(to James)
Why do you have a boy’s name? James?

JAMES
My father wanted a boy.

SLIM
Well, I’m gonna call you Etta.
You’re a beautiful girl,
and I ain’t gonna call you JAMES.

ETTA
I like that.
I’m gonna use it when I sing
at open mike night at the club tonight.

SUGAR
Are you gonna sing again tonight, Clarence?

SLIM
Don’t call me Clarence, Sugar.
I told you, I’m Fillmore Slim now.
I’m the rich girl’s dream
and the poor girl’s scheme.
I’m the first on the scene
with my love machine.
(beat)
I’ll see you ladies later --

And he walks away.

SUGAR
Ain’t he full of himself.

ETTA
Maybe so. But there’s something
about that boy that drives me crazy.

EXT. NIGHT CLUB - NIGHT
The streets are alive
with people out on the prowl.

We see well-dressed hep-cats
on their way to parties and clubs.

A giant bright blue Cadillac sedan
parked in front of HI-LO CLUB,
a seedy den of depravity.

A PIMP sits behind the wheel,
counting money.
The car is STUFFED with hookers.

Slim walks by, watches them
out of the corner of his eye.

Shakes his head with envy.
Goes into the club.

INT. NIGHT CLUB - NIGHT
Etta’s onstage performing.
The packed house is eating her up
as she finishes her big number.

She takes a bow.
The crowd ROARS its approval.

BACKSTAGE
Etta walks up to Slim.
Waiting to go on next.

ETTA
I’m gonna stay and hear you sing.

SLIM
You bet your ass you are.

ONSTAGE
Slim starts singing and dancing,
doing some ankle-popping,
leg-shaking moves.

AT THE BAR
A SEXY WOMAN (20’s) stands next to Etta
as they watch Slim.

SEXY WOMAN
That boy has something I could use.
He is FINE.

ETTA
You stay away. He’s mine.

SEXY WOMAN
(laughing)
Sorry, sister.

INT. NIGHT CLUB - NIGHT - LATER
Slim sits at the bar having a drink.

A WELL-DRESSED MAN (30’s)
in a suit approaches him.
Sits on the next stool.

WELL-DRESSED MAN
I really enjoyed your performance, son.

SLIM
Well, thank you very much.
I try to give the people what they want.

JIMMY
The name’s Jimmy Rogers.
I’m a talent agent for
Du-Tone records in Los Angeles.
I couldn’t help but notice that
you and Etta James are close.
I’d like both of you to come
to LA and record for us.

SLIM
I’d be honored --
but I’m strictly a solo act.

JIMMY
(gives him his card)
You’d have a better chance
of getting a deal with her,
but you should still give it a try.

Slim looks at the card. Nods.

INT. NIGHT CLUB - BACK STAGE - NIGHT - LATER
Slim stands in a dark corner chatting
and flirting with a pair of HOT WOMEN (17).
Etta appears. Pulls him away.

ETTA
What are you doing?

SLIM
I’m just talkin’ to ‘em.

ETTA
Talking? You were doing a hell
of a lot more than TALKING.

SLIM
Hey, hey, hey -- don’t sass me.

INT. THELMA’S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - NIGHT
Slim stands in front of Don and Thelma,
sitting on the couch.

DON
You’ve gotta be kidding me.

THELMA
You’re not thinking right, Clarence.
You’re being foolish.

SLIM
I told you, my name is Fillmore Slim now,
and I’m not gonna be a plumber.
I’m gonna be a singer.

DON
(jumps to his feet)
I got you into Lowell.
This is the thanks I get?

SLIM
Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate it.
You’re my family, but I’m
on to bigger things now.
(pulls out the business card)
I got asked to record for
Du-Tone Records in Los Angles,
so that’s where I’m gonna go.

DON
(to Thelma)
I told you it was a bad idea.
That the boy was too wild,
and would be up to no good.

SLIM
'No good?'
Since when is entertaining people no good?
Is Nat King Cole up to no good?

No comments:

Post a Comment