Thursday, August 22, 2013

Innocent Until Proved Shitty


Happy Thursday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 18 of LEGS, the plot thickens when private eye Carrie Love grills kidnapped heiress Dina Daerr about her father's white slave trafficking 'business operation' with strip club owner Cor Cirac, and discovers he's kidnapped her ex, homicide dick Bernie Keko ...


INT. CARRIE’S PORSCHE - MOVING - NIGHT
Carrie drives out of the motel parking lot.
Dina sits on the passenger side
handcuffed to the door handle.

CARRIE (V.O.)
So Jonna was in on it --
and that meant that her story
about Dick blackmailing Dina was a crock.
There WERE no sex tapes.
This was becoming as confusing
as a Raymond Chandler novel --

Carrie PUNCHES a number
on her cell phone. Listens.

CARRIE
C’mon, Bernie -- pick up.
(hears the voicemail)
SHIT. Bernie, it’s me, Legs.
It was a trap.
Jonna was holding Dina hostage
and tried to kill me,
so I had to kill HER.
I’ve got Dina, and I’m
on my way back to the club.
Cor Cirac must be the mastermind --
you gotta apprehend him IMMEDIATELY.
Call me when you get this message. Bye.

She CLICKS the phone shut.
Shakes her head with disgust.

DINA
I still don’t see
why I have to be handcuffed.
I’ve been traumatized, you know --

CARRIE
You’re handcuffed because you’re
the main suspect in
the murder of your father,
I’ve been looking for you all night,
and now that I’ve got you,
I’m not letting you go. Capiche?

DINA
I didn’t kill my father.

CARRIE
Yeah, right.
His throat was cut by someone
who’s short AND left-handed.

DINA
COR is short and left-handed --

CARRIE
What?

DINA
Why would I kill my father?
We were gonna be in business together.

CARRIE
Yeah, right. What BUSINESS?

DINA
White slave trafficking.
(off her look)
Don’t be so shocked.
Cor and Jonna were already doing it,
we just wanted in. In this economy,
it’s one of the few growth industries.

CARRIE
Wait, wait, wait --
slow down a minute.
My head is spinning.
Start from the beginning.

DINA
(sighs)
If I tell you,
will you take off the cuffs?

CARRIE
Maybe. TALK.

Dina stares at her.
Throws daggers with her eyes.

Carrie SWERVES the car
off the road into the shoulder.

WHIPS out her gun.
JAMS IT against Dina’s head.

CARRIE
Talk. NOW.
Or that curb is getting
a fresh coat of red paint.

DINA
Alright, alright.
Put down the piece.
(sighs)
Daddy found out that Cor and Jonna
had something big going on,
so he had me go undercover
at the club as a dancer.

CARRIE
White slave trafficking --

DINA
Yeah. Some girls that came to the club
wanting to be dancers were illegal,
so he decided to kidnap them and sell them.
When Daddy found out
how much money he was making,
he wanted a piece of the pie.
But Cor got greedy and said no.

CARRIE
How did he find out?

DINA
Bank statements.
Stupid fucking Canuck
put the money in the BANK.
I swiped ‘em as evidence.

CARRIE
So that’s what Bigfoot was looking for --
(beat)
But how could he try to muscle in
if Cor was the owner of the club?

DINA
Cor’s NOT the owner.
My father was.
Cor’s just the front.
'The Hearing Aid Guru To The Stars'
didn’t want his good name
involved in a STRIP CLUB --

CARRIE
So Cor killed him.

DINA
Sure looks that way --

CARRIE
And tried to frame you.

DINA
Yeah. He had me in
one of those dungeons
the whole time.
Then they moved me
to that horrible motel.

CARRIE
So they could use you
as bait to get ME --

DINA
Right.
They couldn’t abduct you
at the club.

CARRIE
(nods)
Anything else?

DINA
Yeah.
I overheard something about
abducting a cop
that was snooping around.
Is that the guy
you called, Bernie?

CARRIE
Yeah.
(beat)
SHIT.

Carrie HITS THE GAS,
and starts TEARING ASS
down the street.

DINA
Hey.
What about the handcuffs?

CARRIE
When we get there.

DINA
Get where?
The club?

CARRIE
Yeah.
I’m gonna need your help.

DINA
You mean I gotta go BACK THERE?

CARRIE
Gotta better way
to prove your innocence?

DINA
Shut up and drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment